Friday, March 13, 2015

Patient Phone Calls - Part 2


In my last post I went over what I consider to be the first rules of good customer service when dealing with a billing related patient phone call.  If you'd like to refresh your memory or you haven't read Patient Phone Calls - Part 1 you can find it here.

 
If you've already listened to the patient, given them the benefit of the doubt and explained all the charges and insurance payments in detail and the patient is still arguing with you - don't worry, there is still hope!

  • GIVE THEM FACTS TO EARN THEIR TRUST - Usually if a patient is calling to dispute their bill it's because they think you didn't bill their insurance or you didn't post their payment correctly or perhaps didn't post it in their account at all.  If this is the case I will usually say something like, "We did bill Blue Shield on the 24th and they have already processed the claim but applied a portion to your deductible," or "I do see here that we received a payment of $138 from you on February 11th, but that payment was applied toward your previous visit in January.  The amount you currently owe is from your most recent visit with Dr. Smith on March 3rd." By telling them what you did do or what payment of theirs you do see, you are putting them at ease and helping them draw the conclusion that you are competent and everything has been posted to their account correctly.  Once they have that trust in you they will most likely take you at your word and pay the bill.

  • KEEP YOUR TONE CALM BUT FIRM - I have heard many a co-worker make a patient call go downhill very quickly by stooping to the patient's level.  If you fight fire with fire, there is absolutely no way the patient's issue will get resolved, and you can bet the conversation will not end on good terms.  Dealing with an argumentative patient is not the same as dealing with a difficult family member or friend.  You have to swallow your pride, be professional and do what is in the best interest of the practice.  However, you cannot let the patient get their way just because they are yelling.  What I do is wait for them to finish and then calmly say, "I'm very sorry you feel that way sir, and I do understand why you are frustrated.  But your insurance is saying this is balance is your responsibility."
cartoon of lady trying to answer 3 phones looking stressed

  • DO NOT TOLERATE DISRESPECT - It is one thing to swallow your pride and continue to be friendly when the person on the other end of the line is not.  But if at any point the patient starts cussing at you, calling you names or threatening you, this is not to be tolerated.  If the patient you are speaking to disrespects you in any way you need to firmly say, "Ma'am, please do not talk to me that way.  I am trying to work with you, but I need you to please stop disrespecting me!"  If the patient does not stop, simply say, "I am going to hang up now. Please do not call back until you are ready to speak with me in a civil manner." 

There you have it - my approach to handling angry patient phone calls successfully.  By no means can I say these tactics work 100% of the time, but they do work most of the time.

What is your approach? Do you have any tips or tricks that help you resolve patient disputes?  I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment